The Gay and Queer in Kpop Thread - OH refugees and newcomers welcome!

Sergel

Hallyuboo Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385
Am I the only one who questions what the point of this was? If a group of hets, what are you actually gleaning? If a group of gays, why say anything? Lol
I mean, a lot of queer people don't go to gay clubs or clubs at all (me included) and considering parts of the story involve gay culture in clubs in bars, it seems fine. Mostly story research.

I guess I'm trying to see what's tacky about it from a marketing perspective, compared to any actor they took part in this or that to get closer or learn? There's no article listed in the tweet so not much to go off of.

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭55,500
Pronouns
He/Him
I mean, a lot of queer people don't go to gay clubs or clubs at all (me included) and considering parts of the story involve gay culture in clubs in bars, it seems fine. Mostly story research.

I guess I'm trying to see what's tacky about it from a marketing perspective, compared to any actor they took part in this or that to get closer or learn? There's no article listed in the tweet so not much to go off of.
Based on how I'm reading and the overall tone of how such things are presented in bl world, this is less about the actual work that goes into being an actor and more about making it sound "sus" for how hype. Also, unless they're getting into the hanky code or something, the people who actually need to go to the club are the writers and director. Dancing badly with a drink in your hand requires very little prep. Haha.

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385
Based on how I'm reading and the overall tone of how such things are presented in bl world, this is less about the actual work that goes into being an actor and more about making it sound "sus" for how hype. Also, unless they're getting into the hanky code or something, the people who actually need to go to the club are the writers and director. Dancing badly with a drink in your hand requires very little prep. Haha.
Hmm my experience in the BL world many don’t really say this for kind of stuff for the hype since many viewers are straight women, and mostly because if it’s hype it’s more directly something related with their costars closer to shipping stuff. I guess it’s also important that many don’t consider this a BL work but more a queer work first since the original writer is gay and the OG delves in gay issues.

I don’t think saying it only for marketing would be as helpful as people think, though they do need to promote the drama.

The people who should always go most are directors and writers, though I wonder how the writing will change moving it from book to film. But that doesn’t stop actors from doing their own research.

I guess we will see how it all goes though. There are quite a few scenes in the book in clubs and bars iirc (remember the T-ara gays?) but they can’t include everything. I guess I’m not as pessimistic about it…yet 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭55,500
Pronouns
He/Him
Hmm my experience in the BL world many don’t really say this for kind of stuff for the hype since many viewers are straight women, and mostly because if it’s hype it’s more directly something related with their costars closer to shipping stuff. I guess it’s also important that many don’t consider this a BL work but more a queer work first since the original writer is gay and the OG delves in gay issues.

I don’t think saying it only for marketing would be as helpful as people think, though they do need to promote the drama.

The people who should always go most are directors and writers, though I wonder how the writing will change moving it from book to film. But that doesn’t stop actors from doing their own research.

I guess we will see how it all goes though. There are quite a few scenes in the book in clubs and bars iirc (remember the T-ara gays?) but they can’t include everything. I guess I’m not as pessimistic about it…yet 🤷‍♂️
I don't follow the work. Book nor film. So I'm not invested. I still find the idea of a bunch of straight men going into a queer space to essentially study the community tacky. If the details are different, I'm open to hearing about them.

Marketing is tricky. While it may not be the most helpful, it is still something that is now being discussed. I hadn't heard of it until the original post here. Positively or negatively doesn't matter. Eyes do. Mentions do.

I concur, obviously. To both points. I do, however, still ask what could actually be absorbed by going to a gay club? Mannerisms? Kinda dangerous. Vernacular? Not their choice. If they're integrating into the scene and having actual fun and being warm and humble, great. But I imagine it more like there's distance. Maybe not sit in the corner with a notebook kind of distance, but a degree or two of separation, which for us, is already something we have to deal with constantly. It shouldn't happen in a space where its entire existence is for you to be (more) at ease.

It is not the work I'm pessimistic about. Not even the actors, really. I just found such a comment to be useless barring some ulterior motive-- marketing or social/ally points. Are we talking the days who fought over being center or a specific member? I'm a bit hazy, but the queens are still epic for that. Haha.

mimenet

chemical blue ocean Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭213,150
Pronouns
He/Him
I don't follow the work. Book nor film. So I'm not invested. I still find the idea of a bunch of straight men going into a queer space to essentially study the community tacky. If the details are different, I'm open to hearing about them.

Marketing is tricky. While it may not be the most helpful, it is still something that is now being discussed. I hadn't heard of it until the original post here. Positively or negatively doesn't matter. Eyes do. Mentions do.

I concur, obviously. To both points. I do, however, still ask what could actually be absorbed by going to a gay club? Mannerisms? Kinda dangerous. Vernacular? Not their choice. If they're integrating into the scene and having actual fun and being warm and humble, great. But I imagine it more like there's distance. Maybe not sit in the corner with a notebook kind of distance, but a degree or two of separation, which for us, is already something we have to deal with constantly. It shouldn't happen in a space where its entire existence is for you to be (more) at ease.

It is not the work I'm pessimistic about. Not even the actors, really. I just found such a comment to be useless barring some ulterior motive-- marketing or social/ally points. Are we talking the days who fought over being center or a specific member? I'm a bit hazy, but the queens are still epic for that. Haha.
Isn't that assuming the actors are straight though? They could not be. They could be queer and not even been to a club before. They could be straight and never even been to a non-gay bar before. This is pretty normal for actors to do. Immersing yourself in club culture if you're going to play a role where that character is a regular club goer is pretty typical for light method acting.

The way the article frames it is a little baity, made to make you speculate about the actors' sexualities but the actual fact that they did it is fine and very normal in the acting world. Light method acting is quite common and personally I encourage it when it's things like this.

Same as if an actor is going to play a marathon runner, it'd help them to intrinsically understand the role better if they did some marathon training or ran a shorter marathon themselves. Or even just if a character is written to spend a lot of time in public libraries, it'd be helpful for the actor to spend a little time in a public library.

Last edited:

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,750
Pronouns
She/Her
didn't know that post would cause all this discussion, but I found the part of the interview:

GMBudC-acAIx6sC

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭55,500
Pronouns
He/Him
Isn't that assuming the actors are straight though? They could not be. They could be queer and not even been to a club before. They could be straight and never even been to a non-gay bar before. This is pretty normal for actors to do. Immersing yourself in club culture if you're going to play a role where that character is a regular club goer is pretty typical for light method acting.

The way the article frames it is a little baity, made to make you speculate about the actors' sexualities but the actual fact that they did it is fine and very normal in the acting world. Light method acting is quite common and personally I encourage it when it's things like this.

Same as if an actor is going to play a marathon runner, it'd help them to intrinsically understand the role better if they did some marathon training or ran a shorter marathon themselves. Or even just if a character is written to spend a lot of time in public libraries, it'd be helpful for the actor to spend a little time in a public library.
My original comment made a case for both straight and non-straight situations.

I didn't read the article. I read the tweet. Which only says they went to the club together to be closer. Which is why I thought it was tacky. I still stand by my points about the comments being useless. Was it probably harmless? Yeah. Do I still find it a strange thing to point out in the way the tweet did? Yes.

This, if they are straight, doesn't feel like a fair comparison to me. Running is innocuous and everyone is welcome. Marathoners aren't a marginalized group that have to be careful about who knows they run because it could affect every aspect of their lives. I guess that's where I'm coming from. Now, had the tweet said something like, "we paid/shadowed out, gay men to teach us about gay culture in Korea and they took us to a club," I'd have zero issue. I'd applaud them for the research.

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385

My original comment made a case for both straight and non-straight situations.

I didn't read the article. I read the tweet. Which only says they went to the club together to be closer. Which is why I thought it was tacky. I still stand by my points about the comments being useless. Was it probably harmless? Yeah. Do I still find it a strange thing to point out in the way the tweet did? Yes.

This, if they are straight, doesn't feel like a fair comparison to me. Running is innocuous and everyone is welcome. Marathoners aren't a marginalized group that have to be careful about who knows they run because it could affect every aspect of their lives. I guess that's where I'm coming from. Now, had the tweet said something like, "we paid/shadowed out, gay men to teach us about gay culture in Korea and they took us to a club," I'd have zero issue. I'd applaud them for the research.
Hmm I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. You haven't read the book, so it's difficult to discuss what parts may or may apply, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. Some of the scenes and where characters meet and do things do involve gay clubs and bars (that's partly what I'm referencing with the T-ara comment, but it only makes sense in the book lol).

The one issue with the paid/shadowed analogy, while I'd like that too, is assuming no one queer went with them, which admittedly we can't know, especially considering the writer of the book also helped write the script, and the author is openly gay. Though, if they had asked someone like me I'd be terrible at it lmao. Every time I went to one I pretty much huddled to the corner and didn't end up interacting much, which makes me ponder your comment about:
but a degree or two of separation, which for us, is already something we have to deal with constantly. It shouldn't happen in a space where its entire existence is for you to be (more) at ease.
since even as a member of the community, I'm like that myself when I go sometimes. Makes me wonder what others thought of me there.

I guess I just feel like the comment is fine, and isn't quite as negative as you feel it may be but I guess we have to disagree on that. Now, if the same comment was made about, say a show taking place in High School (and the actors were adults), then I'd probably agree with you for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭55,500
Pronouns
He/Him
Hmm I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. You haven't read the book, so it's difficult to discuss what parts may or may apply, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. Some of the scenes and where characters meet and do things do involve gay clubs and bars (that's partly what I'm referencing with the T-ara comment, but it only makes sense in the book lol).

The one issue with the paid/shadowed analogy, while I'd like that too, is assuming no one queer went with them, which admittedly we can't know, especially considering the writer of the book also helped write the script, and the author is openly gay. Though, if they had asked someone like me I'd be terrible at it lmao. Every time I went to one I pretty much huddled to the corner and didn't end up interacting much, which makes me ponder your comment about:

since even as a member of the community, I'm like that myself when I go sometimes. Makes me wonder what others thought of me there.

I guess I just feel like the comment is fine, and isn't quite as negative as you feel it may be but I guess we have to disagree on that. Now, if the same comment was made about, say a show taking place in High School (and the actors were adults), then I'd probably agree with you for sure.
I honestly feel like the discourse made my comment seem heavier than intended. It was really just supposed to be some light-hearted snark. Haha. A casual side eye if you will.

As for getting a wallflower, that's your choice. You're still part of the community. It's there so you can feel safe.

Yes, this all hinges on if no one queer went, but I was open ended about that in the beginning. Never claimed they were all straight. Just that it wouldn't feel great to me if they were.

Last edited:

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭213,150
Pronouns
He/Him
Lionesses (the gay music group who debuted in 2021 and kept making news for getting their songs banned by CBS) will be doing an interview with the H+ team so any of you thread regulars and lurkers who might want to ask then questions should check the content+ section to ask!

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385
So I recently have been watching Hangout with Yoo (with Yoo Jaesuk) and stumbled upon this clip featuring Kinky from Eo-ddae which made me happy.

Iirc, Eo-ddae is an all-queer dance group who were on Street Man Fighter. I remember them getting a little bit of hate for their overall flamboyancy, so it is nice to see them booked and busy (I did not know Kinky choreographed so many dances).

Overall I’m happy to see more queer people appearing on more and more shows, especially a bit one like Yoo Jaesuk’s.

I also have my own thoughts on some of the cast members of Hangout with Yoo but that’s another discussion lol

gam3 bo1

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭11,900
Pronouns
she/her
So we now know Jay watched Boys Love Boys Planet, which makes me wonder who else from Boys Planet watched it.

Anyone who hasn’t seen them they’re a funny YouTube couple who started reacting during Boys Planet, but they discuss a lot of the queerness in the show and in KPOP in general along with other topics.

very late reply (catching up on the thread) but matthew is close to jay and also very chronically online, constantly exposing himself to be in zerose spaces, i wouldn't be surprised if he's watched them. same with haruto tbh.

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385
very late reply (catching up on the thread) but matthew is close to jay and also very chronically online, constantly exposing himself to be in zerose spaces, i wouldn't be surprised if he's watched them. same with haruto tbh.
ZB1 in generally seems too well-versed with online jokes and memes to not be online a lot lmao.

Matthew and Jay are friends too so I’m sure he’s watched. Knowing Matthew he probably enjoys the commentary too lol

mimenet

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭213,150
Pronouns
He/Him
I might be misremembering things but I swear Haruto implied he'd watched them on his Instagram during that free agent period he had where he was just posting whatever he wanted.

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,750
Pronouns
She/Her
So I recently have been watching Hangout with Yoo (with Yoo Jaesuk) and stumbled upon this clip featuring Kinky from Eo-ddae which made me happy.

Iirc, Eo-ddae is an all-queer dance group who were on Street Man Fighter. I remember them getting a little bit of hate for their overall flamboyancy, so it is nice to see them booked and busy (I did not know Kinky choreographed so many dances).

Overall I’m happy to see more queer people appearing on more and more shows, especially a bit one like Yoo Jaesuk’s.

I also have my own thoughts on some of the cast members of Hangout with Yoo but that’s another discussion lol

Yoo Jaesuk is very popular and big in korea, I hope that with his show they have more opportunities to be in other programs
and I didn't know there was a whole cast in the show, thought it was just him....:okbye:

sooat

Stan
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭90,750
Pronouns
She/Her
I was reading about the movie ''Comments Troop'' and those who have already watched it had the feeling that the characters from kim sung-cheol and hong kyung were a couple, not just friends...:unsure:

babyv004

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭49,795
I just say this in a thread of this forum but i dont know if this is truth. it really sound like a fanfic :munchlax:

And this is why members of same group shouldn't date.
We know that those things actually happens (you can try to deny it as much as you want but the news above proves that idols sometimes don't think straight and just act by their heart and/or horniness) but I feel those relationships rarely works and can put their careers at risk

Last edited:

Sergel

Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭73,385
Yoo Jaesuk is very popular and big in korea, I hope that with his show they have more opportunities to be in other programs
and I didn't know there was a whole cast in the show, thought it was just him....:okbye:
He's the main person of course, and I do think people leave. Right now it's YJS, HaHa, Mijoo, Park Jinjoo, Lee Yi Kyung, and Joo Woo Jae.

I honestly have some thoughts of Lee Yi Kyung. I guess it's just a feeling, so nothing really representative, but it's the things he says and carries himself. He did have a girlfriend in the past but I think that was 9-10 years ago (publicly anyway).
I just say this in a thread of this forum but i dont know if this is truth. it really sound like a fanfic :munchlax:

And this is why members of same group shouldn't date. It rarely works

This is why people don't recommend dating your coworkers lol. I imagine for idol groups it's even harder since they're contracted to stay together for a time.

Many fans do like to ship members together, and the close proximity can be wonderful to foster relationships, but romantic relationships really can be incredibly risky. I don't think most idols date their groupmates for that exact reason.

Of course I don't know if this applies to ZB1 because something queer is going on in that dorm lol

Jaej

Lurker
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭500
Pronouns
Them/They
Hello everyone:heartublob:
what is the general opinion about txt yeonjun? I think he's straight or bi

Top Bottom