What factors influence the longevity of K-pop group?

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,958
There are hundreds of groups who debut in a given year. How long will they stay active?

Only a small number of groups go on for more than 7 years. What do you think influences the group's longevity? I think of following factors.

- Company's resources : If they don't have resources, it would be difficult to continuously promote the group and give proper comebacks. Having great management team is ideal.

- Song quality: One bad comeback song can break the group esp if they don't have stable fandom. General public is fickle. Having talented producers can help.

-Members' compatibility : Members should get along well and genuinely enjoy working together. Having a leader who holds down the fort is a plus.

- Clean image : One member involved on a scandal can hurt the group's image. Only way to save the image is for that member to be kicked out. While scandal doesn't immediately disband the group, it can weaken the group's dynamics

- Profitability : Is the cost of maintaining the group is greater than the revenue the group brings. Having stable fandom and/or having strong general public support is necessary for group to be profitable.

- energy level : if members have the drive to continue their idol life and not get burnt out. Some idols branch out to acting and drop out of the group.

Seunghee's Eyebrows

그댄 나의 Angel Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭9,795,438
You pretty much summed it up! :wendythistbh:

But to probably expand on your members compatibility, I think the size of the group also matters. The bigger the group the harder it is to maintain the longevity of the group. This is probably a bit of a stretch but Davichi being only 2 members are going on so strong that they live together and they formed in 2008.

Red Velvet and SHINee are also another example too. But that's just my opinion. I think the smaller the group the easier to manage the group chemistry.

BianTwo

Girl Groups Supporter Donor+ Early Supporters
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭13,000
There are many factors of course :

How well the company did to take care, to promote them, meaning you have resources, connexions, competent staff and direction, experience, etc. That's why it's sometimes better to stay at SM or JYP because they have most of those and why it's harder when an ex-idol create it's company. A nugu or small company ? It's less likely to happen.

The members themselves, the group's dynamic, the relationship between them. Of course it's "easier" to stay together when you get popular and when you are popular but that's not enough. The "idol" status isn't considered as well as being an actor, a sporty, studying, etc. So to stay over 5, 10 years, you really have to love what you do, to be satisfied by your work environment, your contract, being close to your members, your health, etc.

For most of them it's like a work. But if you like your work you are likely to stay longer.

SirTim0thy

Karma Butterfly User of the Month
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭503,750
Pretty much said already, but I'll echo: Image and optics are vital to longevity. And I'm guessing that as group size increases, so does the risk of having friction between members, or having one of those individuals eventually behave in a way that doesn't sit well with the public, both of which can spoil the image.

Even for well established and beloved groups it can be fatal if not handled properly. Some more fortunate than others. I think of Big Bang with Daesung and the motorbike incident, and ofc the BS scandal. Or Sica leaving SNSD. Or T-ara with the bullying allegations. Just a few examples in mind that show the impact this can have on a group.

❤️❤️❤️

your heart's not broken, it's only growing
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭39,100
Pronouns
She/Her
Connections above all else. I think we've seen some wildly funded groups that simply didn't have the right connections for the industry.

And of course, chemistry between the members.

Lilac

fearless of adventure Third Place HoE Donor
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭80,958
You pretty much summed it up! :wendythistbh:

But to probably expand on your members compatibility, I think the size of the group also matters. The bigger the group the harder it is to maintain the longevity of the group. This is probably a bit of a stretch but Davichi being only 2 members are going on so strong that they live together and they formed in 2008.

Red Velvet and SHINee are also another example too. But that's just my opinion. I think the smaller the group the easier to manage the group chemistry.
I agree with this too. The oldest surviving group is Shinhwa, and they only have 6 members. In their case, good leader and group dynamics also helped.

mikaseem

Nugu
Reaction score
Plus Coins
⨭42,000
Pronouns
He
The long-lasting success of a K-pop group depends on things like how well the members get along, if they can keep up with what's popular, and if fans keep supporting them. Good management and staying active in the music scene also help them stick around for a long time...

Top Bottom